The other morning, while taking my baby puppy out, I heard a noise that was unfamiliar to me. I listened intently. The dog was on point, even though he's not a hunting dog. We both knew the sound coming from above us was not typical for our morning walk. I searched through the trees, investigating the "Who-who-who" that was coming from up high. I was tickled that I might see an owl perched on a limb nearby. My bifocals failed me and I couldn't find the culprit for quite some time, but the noise continued. "Who-who-who" it came louder and louder as I walked farther towards the street. And then I saw it. Well, I didn't really see much except for a bird sitting on the telephone poll. I could tell it's chest would rise and fall when it made noise so I was certainly able to identify this as the bird that was making the noise. In my excitement to see a town owl - I had only seen an owl on the farm - I ran into the house and told my Dad "You have a big owl out here and its making lots of noise!" Dad grabbed his worn out moccasins and followed me out the patio doors to the same spot in the grass where I stood before. I pointed up to the wooden pole where the bird rested. "Who-who-who" the bird repeated in performance for my father. "Did you hear that?" I asked excitedly. Dad looked at me as if I was crazy. He announced to me in a very disappointed tone, "It's not an owl, it's a turtle dove!" as he turned around and disappeared back inside the house.
I ask you, how could I have mistaken a turtle dove for an owl? I heard an owl. I heard it make the distinct noise an owl makes! We all know an owl asks "Who?" well except for the owl on the Tootsie Roll commercial. He asks "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll?" but that's another blog, another time!
I was embarrassed that morning, when left all alone near the side of the road, looking up to verify that indeed it was a turtle dove and not an owl. I had been fooled by the noise.
Has that ever happened to you? Have you identified God's voice incorrectly? I am learning, through this experience to listen more intently and identify carefully whether the "Who-who-who" is truly God calling me or stan trying to trip me up. There have been times, even recently, when I wanted the voice to be God so badly that I didn't put it to the test against His word and I was fooled. Oh may I always hear God's voice, know it, follow it only and, even when it's a whisper or the answer is "no" may I always know the difference between the two distinctly different sounds in my life.
Have you ever walked into a crowded room looking for someone in particular and even though the room is full of noise, you could still identify the voice of that person across the way? You couldn't actually see them, but you knew they were there, you felt their presence. That's how I feel about God's calling today. I hear him. I can't see him. I know He's there. I am looking intently for him. I desire His presence. Even though my life is kind of noisy right now, I still know he is there. Even though I have to wear this monitor for 177 more days, I still know He has a purpose in all of this. I just have to be still and listen, be still and know...Gabby Gal
Saturday, February 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment